Nocturneshire

Show off your finished work: photos, digital art, natural art, animations ... whatever.
plissken
Dr Bunsen-Honeydew's new assistant

Nocturneshire

Post by plissken » September 30th, 2014, 12:04 pm

Hello!

Just in case anyone is here, I have a new project called Nocturneshire. It is my attempt to create a lot of characters in the same style and update it regularly. So far, so good!

take a peek!

http://nocturneshire.blogspot.co.uk/

morphim
Site Admin

Re: Nocturneshire

Post by morphim » February 4th, 2015, 10:22 am

Man, this is EPIC. Really!!
Not only the actual characters which display such great imagination (reminds me of Brian Froud) but also that wonderful woodcut print style.

Superb.
It's always a sunny day above the clouds : )

plissken

Post by plissken » February 4th, 2015, 10:52 am

:shock: wow, thank you! woodcut, that is a brilliant description of the style, I'l be keeping that! I just wanted to do something with pen and paper for a change rather than all digital. Thanks for looking :D

morphim
Site Admin

Post by morphim » February 4th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Yeah, really great.
Did you check out Brian Froud? Maybe you know him? https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=brian ... 1526318331
What a super long link : )

Do these sketches have a story or something or just random concepts?

If you're interested, a poster I recently did for a short film is now featured on IMDB. I'm not officially supposed to talk about it yet but I'm sure a link to the page is OK >> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4275982/
I was quite pleased with it.

Another short film I did the artwork for has just finished shooting & is in post production, which is great. Just need to start making a living from it!

plissken

Post by plissken » February 4th, 2015, 1:26 pm

I am honoured to be mentioned in the same sentence as Brian Froud, his fairies and goblins are fantastic. I have had a book since I was young. I also love the work of Arthur Rackham, great linework.

I love your poster, the dusky pink and black work really well together. The restraint you have used is excellent, I am always tempted to keep adding elements until it's too confused.

It must be interesting to have a film to interpret and condense into an image, you'll have to post up your new poster when you are able. :)

morphim
Site Admin

Post by morphim » February 6th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Arthur Rackham is indeed wonderful. I have an old Aesops Fables book with his prints & sketches in. I also have the Goblins of the Labyrinth by Brian Froud (or something like that) from years ago and it's very inspiring.

That image I linked to was pretty much the opposite of adding stuff. I took away as much as I thought I could to still retain the essences of what I was trying to convey. How pompously arty : )

Here's two others I've done; the first is the short film in post-production. The second is a feature length in pre-production. Enjoy : )

plissken

Post by plissken » February 10th, 2015, 9:50 am

Really cool! You really get a feel of these from your artwork. Zone 2 looks like a creeper of a film, really eerie and ominous. The small touch of the butterfly gives a great contrast to the bleak heaviness of the image.

The Butcher Holler one gives me a feeling of a slasher type affair like cabin in the woods. The barbed wire in the title is a great detail. The scales turning to rocks is a cool idea, I wonder if the graphic style could be pushed on the viper a little more?

I'm back, had a quick play around with it, and I think you were right, I just had to see! below is my awful rough mock up of what I was trying to convey.

windows screenshot

Thank you for sharing these, great stuff :)